February 19, 2016

Island Life

It must be a blissful life when you can live on an island.  
There are no cares, worries, or agendas to follow. 


A place where you can just lay on the shore in the cold water of February and feel the warmth of the sunbeams on your face.

Then there's the search for sea shells 

and funny looking sea creatures...


There is an internal joy of just letting go of stuff,
 responsibilities of the "real world" 
to experience a sense of freedom


A freedom to just be


to fly

to laugh


to act goofy
or
to just sit and think!!


Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking, 
pondering, 
reflecting...

I've been in a season of solitude.  

sometimes a mama needs to do that 
to realize what matters most in life.

Why is it that life becomes so demanding sometimes?  

I think there's an invisible expectation of what should be accomplished.

Maybe it's certain career goals, a social status, or how much "stuff" we've accumulated...

If we don't conform to this societal formula then we might as well call ourselves 
a little "different" 
or 
unconventional


I'm teaching my children they have the freedom to think for themselves
and to not fall into the trap of thinking that they have to follow a certain formula to feel accomplished.

I used to think there was a special formula to becoming "something" in life..
If I did "A.B.C"... then I should be doing D next

nope 
not for my kids...

I want them to dream, to soar, and to follow their passions, interests and curiosities. 

The "formula" written in their hearts. 


I know they will most certainly make mistakes and get hurt

I guess that is what I fear at times. 

I don't want to see them hurting.

What parent does?

But then I realize that they will learn from their mistakes
That they have a mind to think for themselves.

A mind to make right choices.

I find myself then relaxing and trusting them
Trusting God who's the One guiding them.
Yes...
They may take that leap that might make them stumble just a little. 



But they'll be ok.




Most important is to not get lost in agendas and the general busyness of this fast moving world. 


To know that mom and dad are there
supporting them, 
talking them through their fears, 
worries, 
anxieties. 

We're there for hugs and cuddles so they can feel safe in this big fast world.

Deep down all they truly want
is our acceptance,
love,
 trust.


So to you I say...

When you lay your head down tonight
resting your tired and weary soul 
Take some time to reflect and think about how your life is going. 

 Then take your family 
love them
 kiss them 
hold them

Take a deep breath and know that life and moments 
you spend with them will come and go.  

So make them special. 



And don't forget to dream...

Here's a little song that Donnie and I like to sing when we're feeling funny:
(This song makes me laugh because I feel like i'm the mama bunny)

You and I, by Ingrid Michelson

"Don't you worry there my honey
we might not have any money
but we've got our love to pay the bills
maybe I think you're cute and funny
maybe I wanna do what bunnies do with you if you know what I mean
oh lets get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of france
lets get rich and give everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance
lets get rich and build a house on a mountain making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and I, you and I"





2 comments:

Tulip Talks said...

Loved this entry. Love you too! And your A+B+C did = D. Donnie! Hugs to the family.

Ordinary Woman, Extraordinary God said...

Beautifully written, Chris - I hear your heart!