July 25, 2010

Honoring My Sister...

This post is to honor my sister on her birthday...

Today she is a year older.....36 to be exact!
 
I call her Andy....


 She is my younger sister....

Growing up I always felt she seemed much older though...

:)

She's was the bossy one...

the know it all...

somewhat of a mother hen....ha ha

Yep...that's Andy!


She is beautiful and I have always thought she was and is...

She always had the looks

Tall

Thin

Long brown hair

Gorgeous...



Oh and she's always had such a keen eye for decorating and organizing

something I never had an eye for and sorta still don't 

but that's for another post...

Her side of the room was always much better than mine... ha ha!!



Anyway...

Her birthday is rather special today....

because early in 2007 she was diagnosed with 

advanced breast cancer...


I remember clearly the day my mother called me to break the news

I didn't know how to respond other than I knew I was to pray

The interesting thing was that a few months prior I had discovered a lump on my breast

so this news became even a greater concern for me. 


Immediately I called my sister and asked how she was taking the news

She was so calm and collected and had already done all the research...

She knew what steps she was to take.....


Meanwhile....

I made an appointment to have a mammogram and since I was just a few months pregnant

the doctors were on the ball to get this checked out.

I didn't know what to think but knew deep down I was ok...

Well....they never found anything...thank God.

Having my sister give words of comfort was so needed. 

But the hard part for me was that my sister did have cancer....

her life would forever be changed....



My sister took all drastic measures

She had many rounds of chemo, radiation, other medications, 

a double mastectomy....

She lost all her beautiful long hair...

and

her breast were gone.

She still remained so beautiful...

In my eyes she was even more beautiful!!
:)


She is now a survivor.....She won the battle!!

She handled everything so well

She had so much optimism...

I don't know how I would have handled it.....


God healed her in an amazing way....

A true miracle of our Lord...

I am so thankful for his healing and for my little sister!!

I truly am!!


So I don't take this day lightly....

because she is here today for her husband and her two little boys

and for us!!!  :)


Sooooo.... today I CELEBRATE another year of her beautiful life!!

8 comments:

blessedmama said...

What a beautiful blog you have! I am so touched by your post about your sister that I started to well up, but I stayed strong b/c you just don't know me yet for me to be crying all over your blog. I looked at some more of your posts, and they are just so nice, including the photography. You have such an obvious love for your family. I'm so glad your sister is a success story and that you have such a close bond.

Cinnamon said...

What a sweet way to say "I love you" to your sister!!

Praise the Lord for healing her!

~Cinnamon

Mrs. Taffy said...

I don't have a sister you know...you have such a special treasure! I'm so glad she's okay and that you are too! I think you both have equally gorgeous teeth and smiles! Happy Birthday to your little sister...and MANY MANY more to come!

99ToGo said...

I see two beautiful sisters in your photo! What a blessing that God healed her, and protected you. And that you two are out enjoying life together :)

mommyx12 said...

Wow what a blessing. You must just hold her tight every chance you get. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story of faith.

Katrina said...

What a wonderful post about your sister! It got me all choked up. I think I need to go call my sister now... :)

So glad to hear that your sister is now cancer free. One of my good friends was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. It was just in one breast, but she opted to have them both removed. She has finished with all her chemo now and her hair is growing back. I believe she has just one more surgery to complete the reconstruction. My friend has two young boys and she took the most aggressive treatment, just like your sister did. The fight in these mamas is amazing -- as mothers, we will walk in fire for our children, jump in front of a bullet for them, and yes...we will lop off both breasts if that's what it takes...anything to be there for our babies :)

What an incredible bond you have with your sister. I pray my children grow to have that same kind of love for each other :)

momto9 said...

wow...wow....please say happy birthday to her for me!!!

Rosemi said...

Praise God!!!

Love, Rosemi

xox