June 19, 2010

Life review along with a book review

I know I've mentioned how I'm on this
soul searching thingy....

Well... let me elaborate

I found myself coming to a place of just....unhappiness
yep.....this joyful mother was feeling :(
I know by looking at my life and my sweet family, first words would be...
"wow...she must be so happy...and blessed"

Yes, I am indeed!
But.... in my inner most part of my soul,
I've been dissatisfied with the way things have been going in the raising of my family.

I have been seeking the Lord with my heart and asking Him to show me things that needed to change
Well....I guess He's sorta pointed those things out.

To name a few:
  • Contentment is definitely a key
  • Ridding our home life of busyness is something highly needed
  • Enjoying my kids as "kids"
  • Create a beautiful environment to bring love, joy, peace and satisfaction ...
  • Having fun, exploring, and enjoying everyday life as a gift

So in my search, I've asked close friends to give me ideas, tips, or just encouragement to help me see beyond the daily maintenance and survival of life
this is where I've been for the past 6 years, since my 5th child was born

I have a very sweet friend whom I admire greatly. She is such a wonderful, creative woman who knows how to bring beauty, life, and love into her home in so many ways. She is about 9 years younger, but she knows how to make her house a home
(not just the decor...but the spirit of this peace, love, and joy)


She recommended this book to me thinking it would
inspire me to think beyond my box and move past the mundaneness

Mrs. Sharp's Traditions




Have you ever read it?
Maybe you own it?
This is especially written for the homemaker at heart...


It is a rather lovely book...

Lots of sweet little nuggets of Victorian living
with month to month samples of activities to do with the family


I'm looking forward to finding something
"new" and exciting to do with the family, even if it's not straight from this book.
My friend says...let this be a beginning...something to make my creative juices flow

Being creative, my dear ones...
is something I feel I am not. Maybe deep down, I will find this creative part of me if I allow it to flow freely from my soul and not hinder it with my own hesitations of....
messes it might make
time (i think) I don't have to explore
or
what ever other excuse I always seem to make....

So for today...
We are throwing a "surprise" birthday party for my oldest son who is turning 16 tomorrow
This is unusual for me because I usually just do small "family" at home parties.
I am not into inviting guest and making "plans"
even though I would love to do it


Soo...why do I hesitate and make something easy so extremely difficult??
Well...I guess I think it just takes to much time....money....etc...
But you know what I discovered....
I'm sure all of you know this...
.........that if you want something to happen, you have to make the time and budget the money
not to difficult is it??
nah!

So I think I can do this thing! :)


4 comments:

momto9 said...

My son just turned 16 the beginning of this month and I agonized on what to do to make him fel special. Well here Is what I ended up doing and it turned out so well. He was smiling all day! After church on sunday I told him he could invite whoever he wanted and as many as he wanted for lunch!!!!!!! He ended up inviting ALL the youth boys from church!!!! On the way home I picked up lots of finger foods (hot wings,mild wings, honey garlic wings, spring rolls, strawberries, water melon, fresh bread to slice and butter,cherries, lots of variety of pop etc etc and cake of course.) the table was FULL of cool teen friendly food and the guys all just ate and ate and ate:):):) Because this was spur of the moment several of them stopped to get my son gift cards on their way over to our house so my son ended up with nice gifts too:) All this totally made his day!! For his gift from me and my hubby I got him a big gift bag FULL of junk food and a beach towel and stuck a card in it with some money. He was so happy:)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

What a lovely book. I too have been in prayer about raising my family. I feel like I'm failing in a lot of areas. I haven't been going for the soul, just kind of surviving it. It hasn't been good. God and I had a little talk. There is going to be more corparate prayer before and when i see things headed south. There is going to be a change in attitudes and Mama ain't gonna be the only one doing laundry. I'm going to up the training and nip the complaints in the bud.

It sounds like God is doing a fresh work in both of our lives. Can't wait to hear about the changes.

Cinnamon said...

What a great family!! You look WAY to young to have 8 children :-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always fun to have a new visitor. And from FL even!

What a sweet post~ soul searching is always a good thing :-)

I love, love, love Mrs. Sharps book. Our's is much older than your nice new book but still full of old fashion wonderful ideas.

Thanks for reminding me to use it more often :-)

~Cinnamon

mommyx12 said...

I have that book Chris. Funny thing though is I've never even looked through it. Now I am inspired to do so. Thanks~! I left a follow up comment to the one you left on my blog, you should check it out!