February 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Shiloh Adonijah!!



My big boy Shiloh (Shi Guy) is the big 7 today.  He is one of the sweetest boys I know.  His heart is so tender and sensitive towards us.  He loves to compliment and gives sweet words of encouragement.  Just this morning as I am cooking his breakfast he says: "I love you, mom"..  "You are the best!".."You Rock, mom".  He usually likes to tell me how pretty I am and how I am the best mom.  He also loves to hug on us also.  His future wife is going to be so blessed to have such a handsome and loving man in her life.  WOW!!!

He was suppose to be our last baby...I know, I can't believe it either.  We thought we were done when we had him.  But lo and behold, God had other plans!  Anyway, I wanted to do something different when I had Shiloh.  I decided to contact the local birth center in my town.  I was done with having hospital births since I didn't have a good experience when I had Tsavah, my 3rd child.  The people at the birth center were very sweet and VERY natural.  Donnie didn't know what to think.  He kept asking me if I was sure about this decision.  I was positive this was the place I wanted to birth the baby.  Donnie eventually warmed up to the idea of having a baby in this "home"--basically this is what it was.  

A few weeks before Shiloh's birth, I started feeling labor pains.  My girls were born late, so I was expecting him to come late.  He was 5 days early.  I had taken some childbirth classes and learned all the ins and out of getting through natural labor.  I was ready to have this baby!!  I remember waking up that morning and walking up and down my road.  I still wasn't sure if I was in true labor.  By the afternoon, I started having contractions about 5-7 minutes apart and I knew I had to contact Donnie.  I remember it was a Wednesday and school had let out early.  This is when Donnie used to teach elementary school.  Donnie was so excited about me being ready, that he jumped in his car and sped down the road.  He didn't see the school zone light flashing and didn't see the policeman around the corner...OOPS!!  He was pulled over and got a big ticket.  The cop didn't give him mercy when Donnie told him "My wife is in Labor.  Contractions are coming 5 minutes apart."  The cop said "Sir, you were speeding in a school zone."  Oh, well he tried. :)

Donnie comes home and I got into the car and the contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart.  We drove though some potholes and it seemed like eternity before we got there.  When we got there, I was about 5cm.  The time was about 5:30 PM.  The midwives were so gentle and sweet.  They helped me get situated and asked what I wanted to do.  I decided to labor in the bathtub.  That was such a great feeling.  The jacuzzi jets running and the feeling of weightlessness.  It was awesome.  I didn't want to get out.  I decided to have the midwife break my water and then I went back into the bathtub.  I remember playing some soothing worship music and had some candles burning and the lights were down low.  It was such a nice and peaceful setting.  Not much after my bag of waters were broken, I sensed the feeling of "oh no I have to use the bathroom."  I told Donnie and he said he would help me out of the tub.  I remember trying to get out and then feeling the urge to push.  I thought I was going number 2 in the tub!  :0 yikes!!  The midwife came into the room and knew the baby was coming.  Shortly after 7 PM and with a few hard pushes out comes my big boy Shiloh Adonijah, all 8 lbs 4 oz!!  We didn't know what we were having and when we saw we had a boy, Donnie literally lept across the room for Joy.  What an awesome experience and day.  He was my first "water birth baby" of the 4 I had.  

Donnie had gotten his name in a dream one night.  His name means "Peaceful Ruler"  He is one of the more calmer children in our home and such a sweet boy.  We love him so much and so glad he is in our lives.  He brings a smile to my face.  

We love you Shiloh...Happy Birthday, Big guy. 


(Shiloh with his new bike this morning)


Chris


1 comment:

Nancy said...

Love your story, Chris! I always wanted a water birth...but alas it shall not be. Tell Shiloh Happy Birthday special boy! Max turned 8 on the 1st! So we were pregnant at the same time, again!